Dart_Dog93

How to stop puppy biting?

Any tips on how to stop a puppy from biting? I have tried re-directing and ignoring but it isn't getting any better. 

200.gif

Redirecting is simply training the dog to bite you if it wants a toy and engagement. Give the pup and "no" and then you can stick your finger(s) down your pups throat for a second or provide a leash pop with a prong collar.  Don't tolerate the behavior. It won't get better.

• Like 1

You should look up the Pet Corrector on Amazon. It's essentially a blast of air combined with a sound that they can hear, and usually works in correcting most common behavior problems within a few uses. It basically distracts them in a more effective way then just simply giving them a chew toy instead.

After you shout OUCH, you need to walk away and ignore him for a minute or two.  Do not allow him to continue biting you.  Resume giving him attention and keep repeating the process.  

On 6/29/2019 at 1:23 PM, Marcion said:

After you shout OUCH, you need to walk away and ignore him for a minute or two.  Do not allow him to continue biting you.  Resume giving him attention and keep repeating the process.  

For the majority of dogs this isn't going to fix the problem. It will simply make you do a lot of walking. 

gym treadmill GIF

On 6/29/2019 at 4:20 PM, Ronin said:

For the majority of dogs this isn't going to fix the problem. It will simply make you do a lot of walking. 

Should you try that sort of route first though to see if it works before taking it further with punishments? I guess my issue is how do you brush the dog's teeth after teaching them that a human hand/finger in their mouth = pain/fear? I could see my pups biting down hard (accidentally) if I tried the finger poke down the throat trick. It's part of the gag reflex in some dogs and people to naturally clamp down.  

I think the issue is that a dog using its mouth to explore is natural. If walking away from a dog reversed its natural instincts, then many of us would be training out dogs a number of different things whenever we walked away from them. This simply isn't the case though.

Your pups shouldn't be large enough to cause any real damage if they accidentally bit down hard. 

You're not teaching your pup that fingers are bad. You're teaching your dog that biting humans is bad. This won't cause your dog to fear you, or your hand. It will cause your dog to respect the word "No" and that putting its mouth on humans results in negative consequences.

That makes a lot of sense, Ronin. The solution is to teach the dog that biting humans is a mistake. Thanks for sharing these tips. I have heard a lot of people say that ignoring the dog for a while does the trick, but it doesn't.

On 7/29/2019 at 5:29 AM, Ronin said:

I think the issue is that a dog using its mouth to explore is natural.

That's a great point! I don't think everyone realizes that dogs use their mouths for this purpose and I'd bet an awful lot of people think there is something more going on when it's just an effort in an exploration.

When my puppy was biting me in the beginning, I would hold her snout firmly closed and say loudly say "No." I don't know if that's an accepted method, but it worked for us and there haven't been any biting issues for months.

It makes sense to think that dogs use their mouths to help explore new things. Just like babies and little kids do when they don't know better. I shout loudly like Miss Mazoo said while trying to show Momo something she can bite like toys or treats. I'm not sure which one is better (maybe toys are) so let me know if I'm doing it the wrong way.

20 hours ago, Spica said:

It makes sense to think that dogs use their mouths to help explore new things. Just like babies and little kids do when they don't know better. I shout loudly like Miss Mazoo said while trying to show Momo something she can bite like toys or treats. I'm not sure which one is better (maybe toys are) so let me know if I'm doing it the wrong way.

Aren't toys better? I read in another post that you give out treats rather often, so it sounds like you're better off with something else. It also helps to train the dog to remember our commands.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:17 AM, aquadust said:

Aren't toys better? I read in another post that you give out treats rather often, so it sounds like you're better off with something else. It also helps to train the dog to remember our commands.

That's true, thank you for the reminder. I'm working on making her used to the word 'no' since I noticed using toys as distractions isn't so effective. Sometimes I'm getting worked up and probably shout at her more than I should. It's a little hard to control.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 9:39 PM, Spica said:

That's true, thank you for the reminder. I'm working on making her used to the word 'no' since I noticed using toys as distractions isn't so effective. Sometimes I'm getting worked up and probably shout at her more than I should. It's a little hard to control.

You're welcome! As a fellow new puppy owner, I can imagine the troubles you're going through. I should be careful with Aqua as well since sometimes we play with her a little too eagerly. I guess that gets her excited and so she starts to bite.

• Haha 1