aquadust

How to begin correctly

If you could go back in time, what would you tell yourselves who had just started raising a puppy? I can't help but feeling nervous since everything is new. I'm trying to read as many guides as possible, but maybe you guys have different experiences.

I would probably tell myself to handle the room and the crate better. A few times I just wanted to do it the simple way and let puppy Milo in the crate for hours.

On the other hand, I have read about getting the puppy sleep next to us or in the same bedroom for the first few nights after we pick them up. They say it helps to bond and calm the puppy down. I didn't try this back then, so I wonder if it's truly effective.

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing! We are still teaching Aqua to not fear her crate. This takes longer than I expected, but the guides I read say I shouldn't rush it. After all, Aqua should associate the thing with happy feelings.

About sleeping with the puppy, I've never heard of it. I didn't do it when I first had Aqua. She's pretty active throughout the day, and we try to play with her as much as possible, so I think she's just energetic and not anxious.

• Like 1

You're welcome. I wish you the best of luck! Milo was whining a lot when we first trained him with a crate. Maybe he was bored because he could be in the thing for around eight hours, maybe he was anxious. It was really noisy at nights! Take your time with the puppy and let's hope for the best.

Thank you for creating this thread, and thank you for everyone who's sharing their tips! I appreciate it very much.

A quick question about treats: what are the recommended treats? Momo is a Pomeranian, but I wonder if there some common, universal treats which apply to all breeds.

I think making mistakes is fine, we are all learning, learning together with our dogs, trying different methods or ways to train and get along with our dogs. I don’t think I want to change any things that are specific, but I do agree maybe I could watch my dog’s emotions more attentively.

On 12/4/2019 at 4:49 AM, aquadust said:

Thank you for sharing! We are still teaching Aqua to not fear her crate. This takes longer than I expected, but the guides I read say I shouldn't rush it. After all, Aqua should associate the thing with happy feelings.

I don't think a dog disliking the crate is the worse thing. So long as it goes there and stays quiet when commanded.

That being said, with our last puppy I tried something new. We utilized two crates. A puppy sized one for containment when we weren't watching it, and a full sized adult one. We kept the adult sized one always open and normally left a toy or two or a treat inside. By the time the pup was old enough to utilize the puppy size crate properly, it loved its big adult sized crate. Once the pup outgrew his puppy crate the transition was painless.

So the puppy had two crates and liked them both? That is interesting. Technically speaking, going with the adult-sized crate from the first time would eliminate any transition period. I also wonder if you had a hard time teaching him "place" that way.

You don't want to use a large crate with a young puppy. The idea of the crate also helps with initial housebreaking as dogs don't like to urinate or defecate where they sleep. If the crate is large enough that they have free space to move about they will urinate and defecate in it.

We consider place to be a different command than kennel.