Bobby

My dog opens the doors when everyone is sleeping

Sometimes my dog likes to open all the bedroom doors when we are asleep. I don’t have my bedroom door closed and I have managed to get her sleeping close to me. But she still likes to open all the doors. I don’t know why. Do your dogs do that as well?

Wow! How hard is it to open those doors? Your dog sounds pretty smart LOL. My dogs don't do that, but I used to have a cat who used to open the fridge door!

How old is your dog? And, do you have any idea how and/or when he started opening doors? 

@Pawtastic: a cat that opens the fridge door? That's super funny :D

On 8/30/2019 at 8:08 PM, PawTastic said:

Wow! How hard is it to open those doors? Your dog sounds pretty smart LOL. My dogs don't do that, but I used to have a cat who used to open the fridge door!

Oh, I forgot to mention that basically we don’t fully close the doors because if we do, she will knock and make some noises until you open the door. While I usually keep my door open, my brother doesn’t like it and he keeps his door mostly closed. And my dog always likes to open it haha.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:48 PM, Arthur said:

How old is your dog? And, do you have any idea how and/or when he started opening doors? 

@Pawtastic: a cat that opens the fridge door? That's super funny 😄

My dog is now seven, and she has been doing that all the time. My original theory was that probably she wants to be accompanied but now I think she might just dislikes closed doors. 

Edited by Bobby

Sometimes their behaviours are hard to explain. If their behaviours are not harmful to any parties, sometimes I just let it be. I wonder if your family is very bothered by that? 

On 9/9/2019 at 12:46 AM, Lemon said:

Sometimes their behaviours are hard to explain. If their behaviours are not harmful to any parties, sometimes I just let it be. I wonder if your family is very bothered by that? 

There are some like me who can only sleep in silence. I would be very bothered (and probably scared) to hear weird sounds of knocking or scratching late at night. Do you think there's something else other than fear? I wonder if she is feeling pain somewhere but can't show it clearly, so it looks like she's looking for attention.