Spica

Do we need to buy more than one type?

Many advise against buying retractable leashes, but I've read and heard of people using them for specific situations (such as hiking). That sounds way too specific that it feels like an easy choice to just go with the regular one. Do you end up having both types after training the dog for years?

I have not used retractable leashes in a very long time. I have been using harnesses for a while now and they have been the best option for me so far. 

How big is your dog? I've heard that harnesses may not be ideal for small dogs or those with a thick coat. Are there instances when you think that it would've been better with a leash instead of a harness?

I have a cavalier King Charles spaniel and I also use a harness. I don't think that harnesses are bad for smaller dogs. I have never used a retractable leash and so far, I haven't had any problems.

Using retractable leashes doesn’t seem very common to me, not sure if it’s just me who feels this way though. I have heard of retractable leashes but so far I don’t see many that are using this kind of leashes.

On 8/31/2019 at 2:55 AM, Arthur said:

I have a cavalier King Charles spaniel and I also use a harness. I don't think that harnesses are bad for smaller dogs. I have never used a retractable leash and so far, I haven't had any problems.

It sounds like you also have a small dog like my Pomeranian. I end up getting a normal leash and a simple nylon collar for her ID tag. I will probably let her use a harness when she is already an adult.