Marcion

My dog does not like puppies

Hi everyone! I like bringing my dog to the dog park, as it's a great place for him to run off-lead, practice his recall, and let him play with other dogs. Today however, someone brought their young puppy in and he went after it. He didn't do any damage, just pinned him to the ground and really scared the poor thing. He's done this one other time, again with a younger puppy. I've never seen him be aggressive toward an adult dog, even when other dogs were being aggressive toward him. Before this he was running around with other (adult) dogs and playing happily. He's only a year and a half old himself. How would I go about correcting this behavior?

Your dog did a lot of damage that the puppy might never get over for the rest of its life. This is the main reason why dog parks are not safe. It was a very poor decision to bring a puppy there. You're going to have to leash your dog and leave when known triggers enter the park. If there is a fence that separates the off leash area you can work outside the fence for skills and focus training. 

No more dog parks for your dog. Find a few friends and arrange a play date if you are into that sort of thing.

6 hours ago, alex said:

No more dog parks for your dog. Find a few friends and arrange a play date if you are into that sort of thing.

I don't think anyone should visit a dog park. There are simply too many variables. Not worth the risk.

• Like 1

I bet that was awful to experience, Marcion.  I'm just glad no one was hurt. 

I keep reading that you're supposed to socialize your dogs, so how do you recommend going about it if dog parks are off the table?  Is it okay to visit a dog park if you keep your pets on a leash?

@PartyPupperI think a big problem you'd still face is that the other dogs wouldn't be leashed, or at least not all of them will be.  You don't know what kind of training they've had, how well they behave, or whether their owner is even  paying attention to what their dog is doing.  I wouldn't risk it.  I worry more about parasites and infections from untreated dogs than  I do about aggressive dogs at the dog park, probably because  I've just never seen it happen. 

At a dog park you also don't know which dogs are vaccinated and which ones aren't.  Many dog parks don't separate the large dogs from the small dogs or the puppies from the adults.  Sometimes that exacerbates the problems and triggers the prey/predator response.  I'm sorry you went through that, @Marcion  How did the other owners respond?

On 7/16/2019 at 9:05 AM, PartyPupper said:

I keep reading that you're supposed to socialize your dogs, so how do you recommend going about it if dog parks are off the table?  Is it okay to visit a dog park if you keep your pets on a leash?

Socializing doesn't necessarily mean playing with every random dog. When your dog is young, when you should be socializing it, I have found that pet stores are an easy place. There are always other puppies there. Just hang out by the puppy training class, watch the behavior of the puppies in the class, and pick who you want your pup to interact with when the class is over. Just be cautious. 

At a certain age, I subscribe to six months, I stop having my dog meet every person and dog. Instead they are taught to ignore people and other animals and to simply exist around them. You should be their focus, not meeting new people/pets. 

I am sorry you have had that experience, Maricon. I agree that dog parks are not ideal. I guess I am quite lucky because my boys are friendly with almost everyone.

I’m usually not very sure about the idea of going to a dog park. Though I know a lot of people bring their dogs to dog parks and seem to have a lot of fun, I only like hanging out with those I am friends with. Plus, my dog is a bit shy when he sees dogs that he doesn’t know. 

I'm sorry that your dog's aggression brought uncomfortable situations, Marcion, but thank you for the reminder. I was unsure about bringing Momo to a place that crowded with dogs or humans. Still, I wonder if it's possible that our dogs will be doing just fine if we train them well in less crowded parks first.